Monday, September 2, 2013

Quotes from Design Drawing by Francis D.K. Ching

Design Visualization 110

Ching, Francis D.K. (1998) Design Drawing. New York, NY: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.

"Seeing empowers our ability to draw, while drawing invigorates seeing." (p.2)

I like this quote in the reading because when it comes to drawing I really struggle with self doubt. However one of my strengths is having the ability to see things in a way that most can't and finding the beauty in things society considers plain. I think because of this it may help with my ability to draw, and once my drawing improves my ability to see the world and what's in it will be that much more enhanced.

"Drawing thus is a natural and necessary extension of visual thought." (p. 8)

This quote stood out to me because I find myself having difficulty expressing myself through words, but I always say "If I had a piece of paper, I could draw it for you." Even though I can't draw very well yet, I know that once my skills get better I will be able to express myself not only more effectively, but on another whole different level and deeper dynamic.

"A drawing can never reproduce reality; it can only make visible our perceptions of that outer reality and the inner visions of the mind's eye." (p.10)

I love this quote because it makes me think of the saying art often imitates life. This is so true and this quote kind of explains why that is. The drawing is only a view of reality, but it does not necessarily mean it is the truth of that reality. When something is imitated the one who is imitating is only giving their view of reality and also expressing their feelings and thoughts on the subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment