The objective of the following project was to create 2 distinct spaces using 12 skewers and 12 pieces of 4x6 paper. These 2 spaces should have some sort of dialogue between them. Below is my process through this project from beginning to end.
Step one of my IARC 101 project: Create a graphic/parti. Above is my parti made of images that I got from Pintrest.com. I was inspired by these bedrooms that had the actual bed itself in its own space; thus giving birth to my original ideal of a space within a space. I was inspired by the natural and white washed woods the most. I also like the clean lines and smooth curves made by integrating the two spaces. However, after some critique I found that creating a space within a space may be hard to do without going outside of the 2 distinct space requirements. So...
Here is my first draft of my structure and step two of my project. Using 12 skewers and 12 pieces of 4x6 paper I created 2 distinct spaces. I decided against the space within a space idea and instead created 2 vertical spaces separated by a triangular plane. What I liked about this first draft was the triangular plane used to seperate the two spaces. I also liked the way I manipulated the paper (which I call screens) and the spaces created between them and the smooth walls of the lower space. I also like the contrast of texture between the too.
My second draft I still incorporated the screens and the contrast of textures between the screens and lower walls. In this version of my piece the thing I liked the most was the way I used the screens in the front to create this sort of pointed roof. I also liked the lines created on the smooth walls using the string. The intention here was to some what mimic the lines created by the textured screens above. This piece did not get completed as you can see I am missing some paper and skewers to equal the total of 12 each.
Here are a few pictures of the final product from different angles. In the first picture I originally had 2 arches for each entry way. Those got removed in "outside editing", but none the less I am still pleased with the result. The reason I had the arches in the first place was because I wanted to give some visual relief from all the straight vertical and horizontal lines. I thought this would be a good way to introduces a break in the mononty. I think you can look for yourself and see all the elements from the first 2 drafts that I brought together to create the end result.